Date: 2/22/21 7:45 am
From: raqbirds via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] waterfowl Hooksett to Concord
Birded with Tom McShane along the Merrimack River from Lambert's Park in Hooksett (across from "Robie's" store) up through Bow and Concord ending the day at Sewall's Falls. Highlights:
Mallard- 230 in Hooksett seemed like a higher number than typical for the site. But I suspect someone is feeding them.Black Duck- only two. Just before I first started birding (years ago) those numbers would have been reversed. Mallards have expanded incredibly and Black Ducks are declining dramatically, partly because of the aggressive and more adaptable Mallards.
Common Goldeneye- at least 120, mostly scattered around Sewall's Falls. On our Christmas Bird Count we only tallied 28 along the same stretch of river. Barrow's Goldeneye- 90 % certainty on a hen at Sewall's Falls but it too active feeding to get a good enough ID look. Common Merganser- at least 40. Gorgeous in the sunlight.
Bald Eagle- one adult at Sewall's Falls without any detectable bands.Common Raven- two in Hooksett were flying around in courtship flight while carrying sticks. Spring is in the air!
Bob Quinn- WebsterTom McShane- Plymouth
Robert A. QuinnMerlin Wildlife Tours 603-746-2535 office 603-568-8582 cell

"Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons and daughters of the earth." Chief Seattle