Date: 2/22/21 6:43 am
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Clarification on OBA statement
Sarah

I only read a few words of your email, before knowing that you are irrational, and incorrect. Note that only a day or two ago I was criticized for referring to the murderer who ran over a retired nature-loving woman near my house in Portland a psycho: https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2021/01/family-remembers-77-year-old-woman-killed-in-se-portland-hit-and-run-rampage-as-cancer-survivor-nature-lover.html. I hope he gets executed if the allegations are proven. According to many witnesses, there is little doubt about what happened.

I really must go now to meet a woman birder friend in Tubac, AZ, to go birding, but refrain from sending me any direct emails, since I will consider them harassment, and report you to the police.

That rapes occur is not proof that one occurred in this instance. Let the justice system perform its duties.

Jeff Gilligan

> On Feb 21, 2021, at 11:22 PM, Sarah Merkle <smerkle8765...> wrote:
>
> Jeff,
>
> This is my first time posting on OBOL and it is regretful that this is the topic.
>
> The comments you made were extremely triggering to read; they contained lightly veiled (at best) sentiments of misogyny, ableism, and victim blaming. You chose to take time to respond to an ongoing conversations by contributing nothing but your blatant privilege and lack of understanding of the experience of women, femme folx, and survivors. For your two “stories of false allegations,” I can tell you thousands of true accounts of survivors that I have heard within my community and through my work as a victims’ rights advocate. This is a red herring to distract from the conversation at hand; the safety of non-cis-men in the birding community. If you want to have this conversation, I suggest you educate yourself about the statistics involving rape and sexual assault in this country. Here is a good resource <https://www.rainn.org/about-sexual-assault>. 1 in every 6 women is sexually assaulted in their lifetime and this is just the individuals who choose to come forward about their experiences. Many, like me, never did. You mask your misogynistic and rape apologistic comments under the guise of holding to the principle of “inncont until proven guilty” and by examining the viability of bringing different types of legal action against Jason Ward. No one was asking for you to convict him of this crime, there was merely an expression of solidarity with Aisha White’s experience and a call to make birding a safer space for everyone; your knee-jerk reactions say much more about you and your priorities than they contributed to the conversation. And regarding your comment about letting “justice play out,” let me share this statistic from RAINN: “for every 1,000 rapes, 384 are reported to police, 57 result in an arrest, 11 are referred for prosecution, 7 result in a felony conviction, and 6 result in incarceration.” The number of convictions is even less when it comes to cases involving women of color. That you would see a post about cultivating safe space and respond with defensiveness, questioning, and personal attacks shows me, and others like me, that you are unsafe and/or uninterested in addressing the inherent power dynamics and problems present within birding and society, at large.
>
> As an individual living with mental health conditions and as a survivor, It took me years to be able to be comfortable being alone in nature. Despite this, I will keep birding and keep dreaming of a birding scene where we can have hard conversations about privilege and intersectionality as it pertains to the safety of our fellows birders, and where even queer, femme, “anarchist psychos” like me have space to bird safely.
>
> I stand with Aisha White and every survivor of any gender.

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!