Date: 2/22/21 6:36 am
From: Cliff and Lisa Weisse <CliffandLisa...>
Subject: Re: [inland-NW-birders] Finches.
On 2/22/21 2:29 AM, Ron Louderback wrote:
> The bill of a Purple Finch is shorter and slightly curved. A Cassins’ is sharply triangular and larger

Some Cassin's have really long bills but the main difference is is
shape. Cassin's reliably has a straight culmen with slight droop at the
tip while Purple has a more evenly curving culmen. This is usually
pretty easy to observe in the field but beware of bill shape in photos.
It's hard to judge angles correctly and I've seen the same individual
appear to have both straight and curved culmen in a series of photos. My
two cents' worth.

Cliff

--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse