Date: 2/22/21 6:13 am
Subject: Re: Whats the story with reporting Egyptian Goose?
To add a few things to what Dwayne said -- as I wanted to hear from one of
the NC eBird review staff first (and he review western NC reports) --
Egyptian Goose is NOT on the NC state bird list, in any category:

Birds of North Carolina (carolinabirdclub.org)
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.carolinabirdclub.org/brc/checklist_of_North_Carolina_birds.html__;!!OToaGQ!6jEZ9Rcblaq5xFXgrkKqxKpdo78g-YJdeSojhLeLNWE6kq-4i6YBcO1WgmmAKzCzYc8$ >

Thus, the species cannot be counted on a Big Year list -- sorry, Steve, but
that knocks your 2020 Big Year back from 359 to 358 -- still way ahead of
any other such list.

Now, looking at the bottom of that list, Definitive, Point 5:

1. A species or recognized subspecies from a non-native, feral or exotic
population that is self-sustaining or expanding for a period of 10 or more
years.

It can be argued that the NC Bird Records Committee can, if it chooses to
do so, vote on a species like Egyptian Goose, *if it has a self-sustaining
population at Lake Julian for a period of 10 or more years* -- and add it
to the state list if it receives enough votes to add. However, that
population is not expanding, and that may be a reason also that it has not
been brought up for a vote for the NC list. Yes, this goose species can be
easily seen at that lake, and has been for a good handful of years. But,
the same can certainly be said for some local populations of Muscovy Ducks,
Greylag Geese, and a few other waterfowl -- including some inland
populations of Mute Swans that stay at one lake.

I am a non-voting member of the NC BRC, but have been in the past and was a
Chair in the past. I don't know how others would vote on Egyptian Goose or
a similar feral waterfowl species to add to the state list, but I do know
how I would vote, and that is "no". We could add all kinds of additional
species that way to the list. I personally would want to see a population
expand to other lakes before I cast a yes vote.

Several more points -- Egyptian Goose IS on the ABA Checklist; I just
checked the website and list. However, that would apply ONLY to whichever
part of whichever state it is considered countable -- probably locally in
parts of FL or CA. But, that does not mean it is countable anywhere in the
US and Canada where seen. Sadly, the checklist doesn't say WHERE in the
region it is countable, though maybe a detailed list somewhere has this
important information.

Lastly, addressing the eBird search map, to which Guy refers -- yes, I see
the purple rectangles for Egyptian Goose for several places in eastern TN
and northern GA, and not for NC. So, I support the NC decision to not
accept the species, as it is not on the NC state list; maybe the species IS
listed on the TN and GA state lists -- I don't know. But -- it would be
nice to somehow make sure those many checklists with Egyptian Goose on them
from Lake Julian, still be available over time -- in case such potentially
valuable data are not completely erased.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 6:35 AM Dwayne Martin <carolinabirds...>
wrote:

> eBird has a set of guidelines for reviewers about where exotics should and
> should not be validated. At this time, Egyptian Goose is on the no validate
> list for NC. eBird will be coming out will a new way of dealing with
> exotics on lists soon hopefully.
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 6:27 AM Mary Erickson <carolinabirds...>
> wrote:
>
>> I often see them in my daily NC needs alert. Buncombe Co, Lake Julian.
>>
>> Mary, Hillsborough
>>

>> Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
>> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS__;!!OToaGQ!5Dbu0rmVdq-4XmnnkIopdNtnpFDAeh1exqvxvC6u9cUZ6CtemJ67oU7PDrFAI1tnKkk$>
>>
>> On Sunday, February 21, 2021, 8:38 PM, <badgerboy...> wrote:
>>
>> Just curious, I have NOT seen one in NC or SC, but I noticed that ebird
>> reports of them in NC don't seem to show up on ebird output, but they do
>> show up in ebird public output just west of here in Tennessee, and in
>> Georgia. Is this a decision, random chance, or is there some difference
>> between the sightings that I don't know about.
>>
>> {{{BTW, I DID a quick web search and found the ABA article from 2014 so
>> please don't recommend that--it did not seem to help.}}}
>>
>> Thanks, Guy McGrane, Boone NC
>>

>> --
> Dwayne
> Dwayne Martin