Date: 2/22/21 5:40 am
From: Fred Vir <avtrader...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] In search of Common Goldeneye, Atlantic City-Ventnor-Margate back bays
The Great Lakes got a late start on surface freeze out and I do not
think the most easterly, Lake Ontario, is even now near complete surface
freeze out.  But ice surface ice did increase in the last 4 weeks so
some birds should have come in recently.

This should explain any low numbers of divers earlier in season and a
small recent uptick in some species.

tks F virr azzi Nj

On 2/21/2021 10:22 PM, Lisa Potash wrote:
> Yong and all,
>
> I have had good results observing Common Goldeneye at Harvey Cedars Sunset
> Park/LBI. Since we have a place in Holgate, I prefer winter birding as the
> traffic lights are blinking. This winter visited the park 4x times and come
> up with C. Goldeneye each time - today had 2 drakes in the quieter water of
> the cove.
>
> Also present were 2 Horned Grebes - the first I’ve seen at the bay view
> park this winter along with a good number of (Greater I believe) Scaup.
>
> Lisa Potash
> Oakland
>
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 9:58 PM Yong Kong <yklitespeed...> wrote:
>
>> I hosted my annual winter birding trip around the Atlantic
>> City-Ventnor-Margate back bays in search of Common Goldeneye. Plus, dream
>> birds like Tufted Duck and Red-necked Grebe, why not wish ? And no one
>> showed up even though I waived the fees and pre-registration. I usually run
>> this trip during the coldest winter weekend morning hours around February
>> as
>> some of those back bay roads are very narrow. Hoping to avoid traffic. I
>> started from Lakes bay in Pleasantville and ended the day at Ventnor
>> Jetty.
>>

>> With all joking aside, my target bird was Common Goldeneye, my go to
>> location has been on the Ventnor back bay where the Lakes bay drains into.
>> Today, there was only one, male Common Goldeneye.
>>

>> Would like to know if others are finding Common Goldeneye this winter at
>> their usual reliable locations.
>>

>> It seems Horned grebes are starting to stage in and around Lakesbay in
>> Pleasantville. About 20 at least at Lakesbay, then several more in the back
>> bays along the Ventnor-Margate back bays.
>>

>> Back bays of Atlantic City-Ventnor-Margate are the only place I know where
>> can get so close to Scaup flock where Greater or Lesser ID can be achieved
>> less painfully. Sad part is I have never seen or run into to birders with
>> familiar faces in the back bays of Atlantic City or even in Ventnor.
>>

>> Yong Kong
>>
>> WinDack, Camden Co.
>>

>> --
>>
>> List Guidelines: