Date: 2/22/21 5:11 am
From: 'anhinga' via NFLbirds <nflbirds...>
Subject: RE: [NFLbirds] Wren
I defer, and believe Ms. Robbins is correct that the tail issue is actually diagnostic (and she did mention this early in the discussion; I should have paid more attention). One or two photos taken from a less than ideal angle might make tail length unclear or catch a Winter Wren with its tail uncharacteristically down, but none of the six photos show the tail cocked and Charles saying he has not seen that posture is very strong accumulated evidence for House Wren. Matt Johnstone

From: "'anhinga' via NFLbirds" <nflbirds...>
To: "Charles Futch" <fhs1959...>, "NFLbirds" <nflbirds...>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 15:15:48 -0500

Of the six pics posted so far, none showed the typical high tail angle of a Winter Wren (one pic approached that pose) and the tail did seem a mite long for a Winter. Not that the foregoing would be absolutely diagnostic, but something to throw into the mix. Some of the previous pics did show a lighter lower mandible. For someone familiar with both species, they're easy to separate in the field (based on twitchiness), but that is obviously not the case here with still shots.