Date: 2/22/21 4:30 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: name change question Gray Jay
Hi -

I have seen rumors that a proposal to split "Canada Jay" is under development. I do not know the details of the research backing this, but "Gray Jays" have 3 sets of populations with ranges sort of comparable to the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker complex: A boreal one with a largely Canadian range, a Pacific Coastal one ("Oregon Jay"), and an interior western one ("Rocky Mountain Jay"). In Oregon, "Oregon Jays" inhabit the Coast Range and Cascades, and "Rocky Mountain Jays" the Wallowas and Blue Mountains. They differ in crown color (mostly white in "Rocky Mountain") and underparts color, among other things.

I suspect that

Wayne Hoffman