Date: 2/22/21 1:05 am
From: Ronald S Kearney <ron...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Clarification on OBA statement

It doesn't matter what is ‘believed’.

What matters is evidence; for justice to be served, a charge of the horrible crime of rape must be presented in court where the burden of proof is on the accuser. Here in the US, one is innocent until proven guilty, period.

It is easily understandable how difficult such a presentation in court can be for a victim of rape, and every effort ought to be encouraged by law enforcement and court proceedings to be sensitive to the trauma caused by such an attack, but “ belief” by the public is not evidence and should have no bearing on the guilt or innocence of the accused.

Many false accusations of rape have been made in the past, and I am hesitant to offer gofundme support of an alleged victim where the only evidence presented is web material. Ms. White needs to get a lawyer before I could support her effort. And I would, if her evidence is compelling.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 21, 2021, at 7:08 PM, claire p <redraptorlarry...> wrote:
>

> I think part of standing with women, is to BELIEVE women when they are brave enough to speak up.
> My understanding is that she only started the gofundme because people kept asking her how they could donate. I do not believe she wrote the blog post with the desire to earn money, nor is it mentioned in the blog post pursuing legal action against the person involved. I don't know of many cases of women winning legal battles against those who raped them, most of us are smart enough not to try. Most are smart enough not to speak up.
> To change that culture, and to encourage women to actually speak up, I think we as a society need to practice believing them. Especially a very very long and very very detailed blog post accounting for several instances of aberrant behavior leading up to the assault.
> So please don't say you support women while comparing this extremely detailed and emotional account to a white woman reflexively picking up the phone to call the cops on a black on.
> Claire
>
>> On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 6:54 PM Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> The alleged victim (I of course have no information about what is alleged other than what is on the internet) started a GoFundMe five days ago. From GoFundMe just now:
>>> Legal Fees for Aisha White
>>> $33,437 raised of $10,000 goal
>>>

>> While her appeal for money to possibly hire a lawyer may be valid, as a matter of practicality, suing someone for damages is only viable if that person has significant assets. For all I know, he does, but he may not. We of course do not know if the event described occurred, but money sent to GoFundMe is money got, with no obligation to spend it in a particular way. If he has assets worth pursuing, the normal expectation would be that she would find a lawyer who would evaluate the case, and take the case on a contingent fee basis. Paying a lawyer an hourly rate to sue someone with limited resources is not viable, and it would cost a significant amount to sue someone with significant resources to defend. Good luck to her if the accusation is factual.
>>
>> We saw recently in video the recent case of a black male birder being accused of threatening a woman in Central Park where the accusation was entirely fabricated. I am not saying that happened in this case though.
>>
>> Everyone is innocent unless proven guilty.
>>
>> Of course everyone here is opposed to violence against women, or anyone else for that matter.
>>

>> Jeff Gilligan
>>

>>> On Feb 21, 2021, at 7:09 PM, Sarah Swanson <sarahlovesbirds...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello again-

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!