Date: 2/18/21 3:56 pm
From: DAVID KOCH <0000012d74227426-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Owl/Red-shouldered hawk comments, Koch property, Northampton County
At 6 pm tonight as it was quickly darkening outside and sleet was still falling a short-eared owl flew across the edge of the back yard. it's been years since I've seen one here, although about 20 years ago one flew in and roosted in the front yard for the day.  I remember waking up my husband David, who was working nights at the time, to show him and he opened his eyes, walked to the window, said, "that's nice," and went right back to bed. A juvenile red-shouldered hawk has been around for several weeks and often comes into the yard. But while it strafes the sparrows feeding on the ground when it comes in and they all immediately fly away, they don't go far or disappear like they do when accipiters or falcons arrive. And they start feeding again almost immediately even if the shoulder is sitting right above them in a tree or atop a snag or the telephone pole in the driveway. Then eventually it just leaves. Sparrow numbers are still high - ten species in all including 75+ juncos continue daily. For some reason a swamp and a chipping sparrow like to feed right outside the deck door instead of a little further away on the deck snowpile like many of the others do. And today one of the fox sparrows was in a planter's box on the windowsill outside the bathroom window. I continue to look for a "really rare" one but that probably won't happen, which is fine. Good birding to all.
Arlene Koch Easton, PA Northampton County <davilene...>

Join us on Facebook!