Date: 2/14/21 8:12 pm
From: Taylor Lapeyre via groups.io <taylorlapeyre...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Asking SF bird experts: Salmonellosis outbreak?
Hi there! I recently came across the following article: https://patch.com/california/petaluma/salmonellosis-outbreak-killing-songbirds-california

It seems like the CA department of fish and wildlife has asked residents to take down bird feeders / baths until spring to prevent this outbreak from spreading. This is pretty interesting to me, since I actually did find a very small Pine Siskin in my backyard recently that had passed away. I was a little confused about its death, since we always have stocked bird feeders and there didn't seem to be any injuries. It was nowhere near windows, either. I suspect that this may be the cause.

I am preemptively taking down my feeders, but I wanted to ask any bird experts here on the SF birds list: is this a reasonable precaution, and is this outbreak something serious?

Thank you!