Date: 2/13/21 11:51 pm
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Eurasian Wigeon (1 report)
- Common Merganser (1 report)
- American Bittern (1 report)
- Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) (1 report)
- Vermilion Flycatcher (1 report)
- Sage Thrasher (1 report)
- Bullock's Oriole (2 reports)

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 12, 2021 08:42 by Laurel S Luby
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.5353699&<ll...>,-119.5353699
- Comments: "Maybe continuing male seen in Santa Monica Creek with American Wigeons. Rufous head with tan forehead and crown"

Common Merganser (Mergus merganser) (1)
- Reported Feb 13, 2021 10:19 by John Deacon
- Santa Maria Mesa Road Ponds, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.279007&<ll...>,-120.279007
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Ongoing male in southernmost pond about 100 yds west of Santa Maria Mesa Road. Photos."

American Bittern (Botaurus lentiginosus) (1)
- Reported Feb 13, 2021 06:50 by Barry Rowan
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.84975&<ll...>,-119.84975
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Medium-large brown heron with white and tan striped neck. Top of wing brown with black primaries."

Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) (Colaptes auratus auratus/luteus) (1)
- Reported Feb 13, 2021 10:55 by Molly Hill
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.84975&<ll...>,-119.84975
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Unfortunately, I have no good photos of this bird, but I'm fairly sure of what I saw. I clearly saw a Northern Flicker as it flew into a large tree in the northern section of the park, pretty much directly north of the lake but far from the water. As it landed, I very clearly saw pure yellow tail feathers, though I didn't get a great look at its face. I tried to photograph it, but it flew off (westward, towards the shrubby area directly north of the oak and eucalyptus trees on the western side of the park) before I was able to get adequate photos. I tried to find it again, but unfortunately was not able to locate it. I'll add the photos I did get as soon as I download them."

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1)
- Reported Feb 13, 2021 09:40 by Bernice Hilton
- Santa Maria Country Club (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.442061&<ll...>,-120.442061
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Known male this location."

Sage Thrasher (Oreoscoptes montanus) (1)
- Reported Feb 13, 2021 10:29 by John Callender
- Deer Park Canyon (SBA Co), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.463974&<ll...>,-119.463974
- Comments: "Seen well through binoculars at about 80 feet distance but unfortunately not photographed, just east of the lower (western) gate. Relatively short, straight beak (for a thrasher), brownish gray upperparts, lighter underpants with dark streaking. Light buffy outer corners of the tail seen in flight."

Bullock's Oriole (Icterus bullockii) (1)
- Reported Feb 13, 2021 09:22 by Aaron Kreisberg
- Camino Corto Open Space and Del Sol Vernal Pool Preserve, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8673469&<ll...>,-119.8673469
- Comments: "Initially spotted by Laurel A. in a tree on Isla Vista school grounds on the Southwestern corner of campus (just North of the fence). Oriole with a black bib, black eye line, and black cap and back. Bright male with yellowish coloration.

I departed to let some other folks birding the area now about the bird and when I returned Laurel and Trent B. stated the bird had flown into the eucalyptus in the direction of Fortuna Park. Bird was not reseen."

Bullock's Oriole (Icterus bullockii) (1)
- Reported Feb 13, 2021 08:46 by Bradley Hacker
- Twin Lakes Golf Course (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8351425&<ll...>,-119.8351425
- Comments: "Female. Faint dark eyeline, yellow head and throat, wh breast and vent, two white wing bars, yellow tail top and pale yellow underside. Responded to BuOr call. Along drainage west of golf course at storm drain on dirt road."

View/Reply Online (#32034): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/32034
-=-=-
-=-=-
Group Owner: main+<owner...>