Date: 2/13/21 11:15 am
From: Linus Blomqvist <linus.blomqvist...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Laguna Blanca and Area K
I checked out Laguna Blanca and Area K this morning. Laguna Blanca had 212
ducks of 11 species, and Area K had 218 ducks of 9 species.

Ducks at Laguna Blanca included 35 Cinnamon Teal, 43 Northern Shoveler, 5
Gadwall, 13 American Wigeon, 69 Mallard, 3 Green-winged Teal, 1 Redhead, 21
Ring-necked Duck, 4 Lesser Scaup, 10 Buffelhead, and 10 Ruddy Duck.
Checklist <https://ebird.org/checklist/S81174073>. I scoped the lake from
the southeastern corner, where the light is good in the morning. No one
gave me any trouble for parking around there but this is always a concern
at Laguna Blanca.

At Area K there were 6 Blue-winged Teal, 24 Northern Shovelers, 41 Gadwall,
79 American Wigeon, 2 Northern Pintails, 57 Green-winged Teal, and 4
Redheads. Checklist <https://ebird.org/checklist/S81190156>. Note that
quite a few of the ducks are in the eastern part hiding in the salicornia,
and it helps to scope from further east along the road to see these.

It's interesting how both the total number of ducks and number of species
is so similar, but the composition is so different.

*Linus Blomqvist*

View/Reply Online (#32030): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/32030
-=-=-
-=-=-