Date: 2/12/21 1:36 pm
From: Florence Sanchez via groups.io <sanchezucsb11...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Seawatch + Golden Eagle
Many, MANY years ago (sometime in the early 1970s), my husband and I saw one in this general area on Christmas Day.  It was nice weather and Tom wanted to play golf, so we went to the Ocean Meadows golf course, which was the only one officially open on the holiday.  While walking the course with him, I noticed a large raptor being harassed by a smaller one, both Buteo type.  I initially assumed it was a Red-shouldered chasing a Red-tail, but a good look through binoculars identified the smaller bird as a Red-tail and the larger one as a Golden Eagle.
I don't recall ever seeing one in this general vicinity again, so this recent sighting was a nice report.
Florence Sanchez

On Friday, February 12, 2021, 12:34:01 PM PST, Linus Blomqvist <linus.blomqvist...> wrote:

I spent a total of about three hours at Coal Oil Point this morning. As I mentioned in an earlier email, the wind was pretty strong and from the west, and visibility was good until about 10am when the heat shimmer got in the way. I had three Black-legged Kittiwakes, two jaegers, two Common Murres, about 60 loons in total (mostly Red-throated), four Black-vented Shearwaters, and - perhaps my favorite part - over 80 Forster's Terns. The biggest flock had 43 individuals. I was careful to not double count, so I think the number is pretty accurate. Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S80964078.
Even more notably for the location, I saw an immature Golden Eagle from the Storke apartment complex just north of Isla Vista. I included a detailed description in my checklist and I think it suffices as evidence for the ID. According to Lehman's Birds of Santa Barbara, this is a highly unusual sighting.
Linus

______________Linus Blomqvist

View/Reply Online (#32027): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/32027
-=-=-