Date: 2/12/21 12:34 pm
From: Linus Blomqvist <linus.blomqvist...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Seawatch + Golden Eagle
I spent a total of about three hours at Coal Oil Point this morning. As I
mentioned in an earlier email, the wind was pretty strong and from the
west, and visibility was good until about 10am when the heat shimmer got in
the way. I had three Black-legged Kittiwakes, two jaegers, two Common
Murres, about 60 loons in total (mostly Red-throated), four Black-vented
Shearwaters, and - perhaps my favorite part - over 80 Forster's Terns. The
biggest flock had 43 individuals. I was careful to not double count, so I
think the number is pretty accurate. Checklist:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S80964078.

Even more notably for the location, I saw an immature Golden Eagle from the
Storke apartment complex just north of Isla Vista. I included a detailed
description in my checklist <https://ebird.org/checklist/S80972634> and I
think it suffices as evidence for the ID. According to Lehman's Birds of
Santa Barbara, this is a highly unusual sighting.

Linus

*Linus Blomqvist*

View/Reply Online (#32026): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/32026
-=-=-