Date: 2/11/21 6:26 pm
From: Ann Pettigrew <rook185...>
Subject: Re: Red-tailed Hawk Catching Dove - York County
Amazing to see red-tails giving chase. I watched two red-tails chase a squirrel round and round a large oak tree trunk. The squirrel managed to stay out of reach!

Ann C. Pettigrew, V.M.D.
York, PA
<rook185...>
www.pbase.com/rook185

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

> On Feb 11, 2021, at 8:17 PM, Dean Newhouse <dean.newhouse...> wrote:
>
> Drama at the feeders. This afternoon, we had a Red-tailed Hawk dive on the
> birds at and around our feeders. It flew by and then into the woods a
> distance of about 100 feet to our right, then looped around and came back,
> all the while navigating through the trees. As it passed by again, we
> could see it was chasing a Dove, which flew low into some shrubs. The hawk
> crashed in after the Dove and pounced! After sitting on it's catch a
> couple minutes, it flew off deeper into the woods. And then another
> Red-tail gave it chase. All the other birds returned to the feeders
> moments later. All this viewable from our dining room windows.
>
> This is the first time that I've seen a Red-tail chase a bird, although
> I've read that some Red-tails do chase birds like pigeons. At the feeders
> here, it's usually Cooper's Hawks and Sharpies that scatter the birds. The
> Red-tailed Hawks are always around, and this past summer one crashed in on
> a chipmunk under the feeders. Perhaps the extended snow cover is making it
> harder for them to find the rodents that I expect them to prefer.

Join us on Facebook!