Date: 2/11/21 5:17 pm
From: Dean Newhouse <dean.newhouse...>
Subject: Red-tailed Hawk Catching Dove - York County
Drama at the feeders. This afternoon, we had a Red-tailed Hawk dive on the
birds at and around our feeders. It flew by and then into the woods a
distance of about 100 feet to our right, then looped around and came back,
all the while navigating through the trees. As it passed by again, we
could see it was chasing a Dove, which flew low into some shrubs. The hawk
crashed in after the Dove and pounced! After sitting on it's catch a
couple minutes, it flew off deeper into the woods. And then another
Red-tail gave it chase. All the other birds returned to the feeders
moments later. All this viewable from our dining room windows.

This is the first time that I've seen a Red-tail chase a bird, although
I've read that some Red-tails do chase birds like pigeons. At the feeders
here, it's usually Cooper's Hawks and Sharpies that scatter the birds. The
Red-tailed Hawks are always around, and this past summer one crashed in on
a chipmunk under the feeders. Perhaps the extended snow cover is making it
harder for them to find the rodents that I expect them to prefer.

Join us on Facebook!