Date: 2/10/21 11:10 am
From: Alan Hopkins <alanhopkins...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] 4 snowy plovers + dogs
Okay my two cents: I have been dealing with this issue since the 90s. To be quite frank the officials don't want to deal with the issue because they are terrified of a very strong pet lobby. This was escalated when Richard Avenzino was president of the SF SPCA, think of Trump and you will get a very good comparison to Avenzino. At one of many meetings I went to Avenzino spoke to a group of mostly off leash folks and I guess he felt like he could speak his mind. What he said was full of the lexicon of the Wise Use Movement, he implied that big government was taking over and sounded as though black helicopters were about to swoop down on dog owners and their rights were being stolen. He is gone but a lot of his thoughts are still adhered to by dog walkers. "This is a City and threatened and endangered species don't belong here" is a common theme. Next time you are out look at all the dog walkers as voters and and people who will raise a stink against any government person who wishes to enforce the leash law you'll see what the problem is.
BTW, The other day my friend Peter, a long time dog owner, said that he no longer lets his dog run wild on the beach after I explained the issue a few years ago.
Alan S. HopkinsSan Francisco, CALink to art website

On Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 10:04:03 AM PST, Andrew R <reckersandrew...> wrote:

We could definitely use more signs and fencing. The fencing, apart from the small chain link gate, is symbolic cable. In many places it simply rests on the sand.

One issue I have with the signs is comprehensibility. The sign on the fence itself, pictured below, says "Pets must be leashed all year except May 15 to July 1." The other, larger interpretive sign about 10 ft away (not pictured, behind me when I took the photo) explains the snowy plover situation, but then says something along the lines of "Snowy Plover season is from July 1 to May 15, and pets must be leashed during this time"
Perhaps it is my own denseness, but I found it tricky to immediately grasp which dates were allowed and which were not, due to the two different phrasings the signs use. If we must give dog owners 6 weeks of leash free time, it seems best to make it abundantly clear with the same phrasing repeated multiple times.

Of course, MUCH more clear would be signs simply saying dogs must be on leash in this area. Then you don't have to read the sentences thrice to determine if you happen to be in the 6 week grace period or not.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 9:34 AM Siobhan Ruck <ms.siobhan.ruck...> wrote:

During a previous debate over dogs in the parks, I wrote a Letter to the Editor (which the Chronicle published) saying simply:  Wild animals are not dog toys.
That’s the message we need to convey.
Siobhan Ruck

On Feb 10, 2021, at 8:52 AM, <greylag64...> wrote:
I agree with Chrisand Lorelei. I have a friend who complained on her blog about the birds on Ocean Beach not allowing her dogs to have any fun for 9 months of the year. She thought the birds should just go elsewhere.After I explained things to her, she said "I didn't know".So the answer is education, one on one. We have to be willing to engage. It is hard to do when the reaction is negative.I haven't been to Crissy Field in a while. Are there signs? Many places use signs painted by children. Is the fencing just that symbolic cable? Maybe we need to give Jackie Speier a hands-on.
Laurie Graham South San Francisco

I've had bad experiences with dog people, and think the most successful attempts have been to say that THESE birds are migrating birds, and if they get chased, they'll starve. Dog people don't mean to be cruel: they just know it's natural for dogs to chase birds. And they don't know more, and don't like to get scolded and threatened with not being able to take their dogs out for necessary excercise. Some, when they hear about birds trying to migrate and survive, do get a clue, and understand that letting their dogs run should not include letting them chase birds. Rules only work when people understand that the rules make sense. Best wishes for explaining, maybe one person at a time.