Date: 2/10/21 10:04 am
From: Andrew R <reckersandrew...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] 4 snowy plovers + dogs
We could definitely use more signs and fencing. The fencing, apart from the
small chain link gate, is symbolic cable. In many places it simply rests on
the sand.

One issue I have with the signs is comprehensibility. The sign on the fence
itself, pictured below, says "Pets must be leashed all year except May 15
to July 1." The other, larger interpretive sign about 10 ft away (not
pictured, behind me when I took the photo) explains the snowy plover
situation, but then says something along the lines of "Snowy Plover season
is from July 1 to May 15, and pets must be leashed during this time"

Perhaps it is my own denseness, but I found it tricky to immediately grasp
which dates were allowed and which were not, due to the two different
phrasings the signs use. If we must give dog owners 6 weeks of leash free
time, it seems best to make it abundantly clear with the same phrasing
repeated multiple times.

Of course, MUCH more clear would be signs simply saying dogs must be on
leash in this area. Then you don't have to read the sentences thrice to
determine if you happen to be in the 6 week grace period or not.