Date: 2/8/21 12:14 pm
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Wh-w Scoter & Brant
After an 0-4 rarity search at Lake Merced, I went to the Sutro Baths, where
the surf had finally returned to normal after weeks of monster waves. The
species count continued to be less varied than usual, still no murrelets at
all, but there was a flock of about 10 Brant on the water way out toward
the northwest, and a female White-winged Scoter flew from the south quite
close and into the mouth of the Gate. It's fascinating that we've lost our
traditional wintering flock of White-wingeds, but have gained many more
flybyes than used to occur.
Brian Fitch