Date: 2/7/21 2:51 pm
From: Jamie Chavez via groups.io <almiyi...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Waller Park Duck Hybrids
This is the third and final round. At the risk of contributing fake news and being socially canceled I must admit that I was wrong about this bird ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/almiyi/50915270342/ ) and I don't want to send people on a wild duck chase. After some recent feedback regarding the "hybrid" duck I had at Waller Park on Friday it turns out this beast is an Intersex Mallard and not a hybrid at all. Here is some helpful information on Intersex Mallards if you care to be educated:

http://birdhybrids.blogspot.com/2015/01/intersex-birds-and-their-confusion-with.html

It is not uncommon to be fooled by Mallards showing these odd patterns and colors and thinking they are hybrids. I'm sure I have seen countless examples of less well-marked ducks and just glossed over them thinking they were mixes, mutts and molting birds, but this duck was so striking as to send me in the wrong direction. So my biggest takeaway from this whole experience - never trust a Mallard.

Jamie M. Chavez
Santa Maria, CA