Date: 2/6/21 3:30 pm
From: Tom Kuehl <tjk.kuehl...>
Subject: New Somerset County WRS Route
Greg and All,

This is a new route covering a large area of primarily farm habitat at high
elevations (for PA) just west of the Allegheny Front. The route starts at
the Bedford County line on Rt. 30 and ends in Buckstown, which is very close
to the Flight 93 National Memorial. The route is all south of Rt. 30, and
the area includes Reels Corners, Indian Lake, Berlin and Shanksville.

County - Somerset County - East-Central WRS Route

Date - February 6, 2021

Obs.- Tom and Janet Kuehl

Survey time (subtract breaks) : Hours: 4 Minutes- 20

Start/End time: 9:55am / 4:01pm

Miles on route: 87.5

Avg Temp.- 28F

Clear/Pt cloudy/Cloudy- Partly Cloudy to Mostly Sunny

Wind - Calm/Light/medium- Medium

Inches Snow cover- 6"

Red-tails- 26

Rough-legs- 1 Light

Kestrels- ND - 1

Red-shoulders - 2 adults

Cooper's 1 Juvenile

Comments - There were several Common Ravens and very many Crows. Quite a few
farms with spread manure, so Horned Larks seen in several locations. One
Pileated Woodpecker and two groups of Wild Turkey (roughly 5 and 15).

Happy to get so many Red-tailed Hawks as we get low counts on our Northeast
Somerset Route. We had 2 Northern Harriers on a scouting run of the route
earlier this week, however dipped on them today. Also had 2 Rough-legs, so
thinking some very good potential for this route with lots of open and edge
habitat.

Join us on Facebook!