Date: 2/6/21 11:23 am
From: Stan Zeavin <margstan...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] 4 snowy plovers
To All SF who care about snpl -
Just like you, we in Pacifica have been begging for years for the leash law to be enforced. Under an old agreement with the state parks, Pacifica manages Pacifica State Beach. With the approval of the CCC for Pacifica to collect parking fees we had hoped that the money collected would be used exclusively for rangers on the beach as promised. Rangers were discouraged from issuing citations for off-leash violations. As volunteers we were supposed to telephone the police who might show up if nothing else more important was happening, but usually long after the offending owner had left the beach. Hired as "Rangers" ours are ranger in name only, being used by DPW for all sorts of maintenance all over town including emptying garbage cans on San Franicsco's golf berm. Plovers are seen as an inconvenience to the city which is counting on tourist income to fund us. In fact, the tourists are reasonably compliant with signage.  It's the locals who disregard the law. It's the old system of no consequences leading to more violations.
Meanwhile we count and report off-leash owners to the city without effect.
Our sympathy,
Margaret Goodale
On Friday, February 5, 2021, 09:55:50 PM PST, Joel Perlstein <joelperl...> wrote:

Thanks for the info. I went on Thursday and saw two snowy plovers and many unleashed dogs.

I asked one of the dog owners to leash their dog, but they did not do so.

Is there anything we can do to get the National Park Service  to enforce its dog rules in the snowy plover protection areas, or to get them to just prohibit dogs in those areas?
--
Joel Perlstein
San Francisco