Date: 2/5/21 11:41 pm
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Gadwall x Mallard (hybrid) (1 report)
- American Wigeon x Mallard (hybrid) (1 report)
- Costa's Hummingbird (1 report)
- Short-eared Owl (3 reports)
- Tropical Kingbird (2 reports)
- Bell's Vireo (1 report)
- Cassin's Finch (1 report)
- Black-and-white Warbler (2 reports)

Gadwall x Mallard (hybrid) (Mareca strepera x Anas platyrhynchos) (1)
- Reported Feb 05, 2021 09:34 by Jamie Chavez
- Waller Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.4392958&<ll...>,-120.4392958
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing hybrid. Photos"

American Wigeon x Mallard (hybrid) (Mareca americana x Anas platyrhynchos) (1)
- Reported Feb 05, 2021 09:34 by Jamie Chavez
- Waller Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.4392958&<ll...>,-120.4392958
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "New hybrid duck found in the front pond. I'm tentatively calling it American Wigeon X Mallard."

Costa's Hummingbird (Calypte costae) (1)
- Reported Feb 05, 2021 16:23 by John Callender
- Mesa Lane backyard, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.526193&<ll...>,-119.526193
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing female."

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1)
- Reported Feb 05, 2021 17:25 by Andrew Masaitis
- More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.7963064&<ll...>,-119.7963064
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Spotted and identified with two other birders. The owl was hunting on the Mesa, observed from one of the westernmost North-South trails. My pictures are terrible due to inadequate equipment for low light, but one shows the underwing markings and buffy patch."

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1)
- Reported Feb 05, 2021 17:08 by David Blue
- More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.7963064&<ll...>,-119.7963064
- Comments: "Watched for the Short-eared Owl for half an hour starting at 5:10 from this location on the western side of More Mesa: (34.421356, -119.800098). During that time it made five flights. A medium sized owl, dark above and light below, flying low above the ground like the Northern Harrier that was also present, but with a more buoyant, stiff-winged, moth-like flight on rounded wings. Also the chest and head appeared blockier, with a blunt, concave face. The upperwing had a pale patch in the primaries, as shown in the accompanying (extremely poor) photo."

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (2)
- Reported Feb 05, 2021 17:02 by Susanne Meyer
- More Mesa, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.7963064&<ll...>,-119.7963064
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Observed continuing birds hunting in the center area of the Mesa around sunset time. Streaked below and dark underwing patch."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Feb 05, 2021 09:19 by Mark Holmgren
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8713662&<ll...>,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Singing. Near far north western pond at NCOS, and into the housing parking area."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Feb 05, 2021 09:19 by Lori Gaskin
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8713662&<ll...>,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Singing. Near far north western pond at NCOS, and into the housing parking area."

Bell's Vireo (Vireo bellii) (1)
- Reported Feb 05, 2021 14:19 by Silvia Echeverria
- 5700 Via Real, Carpinteria US-CA 34.39356, -119.50837, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.508367&<ll...>,-119.508367
- Comments: "Large dark eye, one wing bar. Solitary along bank of wash that leads to creek. Constantly moving up and down the wash to small newly planted plants and also catching insects quite rapidly while in the sun. I believe this bird is also seen at boundaries of condos where I live, often in Tamarisk."

Cassin's Finch (Haemorhous cassinii) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 05, 2021 10:00 by Peter Schneekloth
- Backyard, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.1948929&<ll...>,-120.1948929
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Cassin's Finch first visited my feeders since Nov. 27, 2020 and were regular for a few weeks, but I have not had a male since 12/27 and last female type was 1/1/21. Photo's"

Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 05, 2021 07:33 by John Callender
- Camino Corto Open Space and Del Sol Vernal Pool Preserve, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8673469&<ll...>,-119.8673469
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing female. Found by David Blue working the tree trunks and limbs on the north side of the children’s playground."

Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 05, 2021 07:33 by David Blue
- Tierra de Fortuna Park (34.4128,-119.8691), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.869111&<ll...>,-119.869111
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing female first found by Dave Compton on January 23, 2021. Covered with black and white stripes. Foraged along the trunk and branches (much like a nuthatch) on a sycamore and other deciduous trees on the west, north, and east side of the children’s playground at Tierra de Fortuna Park."

View/Reply Online (#32005): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/32005
-=-=-
-=-=-
Group Owner: main+<owner...>