Date: 2/5/21 5:44 pm
From: Nick Lethaby <nlethaby...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] N. Coast estuaries
All,

For various reasons I have been up in N. county a lot the last week
(today's reason was that I was chasing some of the rarities in SLO - saw
three birds that would have been county birds in SBA .... grrrr). As a
result, I have checked the SMRE 3 times and checked the SYRE today.

The SM (Santa Maria) RE blew out but is already blocked. It may blow out
again as the water level is rising. I have had a pretty disappointing time
with gulls there, with just a few Herring, a couple of GWGUs on one visit,
and a Bonaparte's today. It seems the more interesting gulls prefer
the beach by the carpark. There are lots of shorebirds still using the
mudflats (although these are largely gone today) and ducks include a dozen
Canvasbacks.

The SY (Santa Ynez) RE is tidal with some water left in the side ponds.
There was a decent gull flock on the beach at the river mouth that included
a couple of Herring and a Thayer's. There were 2 Greater Scaup off the
parking lot and lots of Sanderling and BB Plovers on the flats. There are 4
Canvasbacks here as well.

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA