Date: 2/4/21 7:49 pm
From: Wes Fritz via groups.io <wes-fritz...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Laguna Blanca
Hi all,
Just to add to Nick’s Hope Ranch report. The lake has had some work done to it, like added island or better habitat ideas. Since the rains it has flooded up over the weeds that were growing out in the middle to make for some nice birding. I had 5 male Cinnamon Teal this morning along with the previous mentioned ducks. I only mention the teal due to the recent Cinnamon Teal thread. Also seen were Greater yellowlegs and Black-necked Stilt.
Also, for more Cinnamon Teal, there were 3 males at the wetlands along the south side of Hollister between Los Carneros and Areo Camino. It is a nice flooded habitat right now ( great photography)
Yesterday at the new dinosaur exhibit at the SBNHM located on the south side of the creek I saw one Pink-sided Junco, and a Canyon Wren worked his way slowly down the creek. It took him a couple hours to make it past us. No birds of note at this location today. This area is closed to the public until ( maybe)2-19-21? It has been pretty birdy in there, but nothing too exciting.
If any of you are interested in gulls, I had a decent number of gulls over at the substation/recycling near Hayward Lumber in Goleta. I would be in the thinking they are using Lake Los Carneros. If anybody is birding over on that property please let us know. Today there was a huge concentration of gulls at Vista Point west of Refugio. They were just circling around over this known roosting/loafing location. It’s time to start digging through the gulls.

Happy and productive social distance birding!

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
<wes-fritz...>
Solvang CA

> On Feb 4, 2021, at 2:59 PM, Nick Lethaby <nlethaby...> wrote:
>

> I checked today and there is a fair amount of water with about 250 ducks. These are mostly Mallards but I had all 3 teal, a Redhead, and a flock of RN Ducks as well.
>
> Nick Lethaby, Goleta, CA
>
> --
> Nick Lethaby
> Goleta, CA