Date: 2/4/21 4:19 pm
From: Florence Sanchez via groups.io <sanchezucsb11...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Camino Corto Open SPace
I checked out this area this morning.  It's been months since I visited and I was shocked to see how much habitat has been cleaned out in the riparian area.  Gone are the blackberry-poison oak thickets around most of the trees, which have themselves been heavily pruned.  It is easier to walk through the grove now, but the loss of understory may affect what species show up here in the future.  Eventually, the ground cover will grow back, but it's gong to take a couple of years.
That said, I had two targets:  Black-and-White Warbler and Bullock's Oriole.  I heard the latter chattering in the large eucalyptus trees at the west end of the riparian area.  I missed the warbler, but ran into Marge and Don Thornton who had it earlier in adjacent Fortuna Park as well as the willows in the riparian area.  I could not relocate it after an hour of looking.   One nice surprise was a red-breasted Sapsucker.
I moved on to Area K.  Lots of ducks but I could not pull out a Blue-winged Teal this morning.  However, there were a lot of ducks back in the salicornia of the east end that I could not see well enough to identify.
Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#31995): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/31995
-=-=-
-=-=-