Date: 2/4/21 11:48 am
From: Ann Pettigrew <rook185...>
Subject: Re: Sick Pine Siskins
Sorry to hear about your sick Siskins, Barb. I took a goldfinch to West Shore Wildlife Center this morning. It has conjunctivitis and allowed me to easily pick it up. So glad there is someone close that will take songbirds in.

Ann C. Pettigrew, V.M.D.
York, PA
<rook185...>
www.pbase.com/rook185

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

> On Feb 3, 2021, at 3:18 PM, Barbara Ritzheimer <barbritz...> wrote:
>
> I know there is a salmonella outbreak among Pine Siskins out west. Is it
> also happening here in the east? I have had at least one sick siskin at my
> feeders. Although I try to keep my feeders as clean as possible, I have
> taken down the feeders and will keep them down for a couple of weeks. I am
> also going to do a very thorough cleaning before I put them up again. None
> of the other bird species are showing any signs of illness. I have had
> siskins at my feeders since October but did not notice any problems until
> last week.
>
> Barb Ritzheimer
> Schuylkill County
>
> But man is a part of nature, and his war against nature is inevitably a war
> against himself. Rachel Carson

Join us on Facebook!