Date: 2/3/21 3:26 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Fort Mason this morning - Northern Red Bishop, Bullock's Oriole, etc.
David

I was first going to say that likely in that plumage one cannot separate from other similar bishops. But those really long uppertail coverts extending past the tail should seal the deal as a Northern Red Bishop. That is in addition to incoming black bits, and “orange” bits. The bird looks a bit more orange than is typical, that may be due to poor food sources not allowing it to gather enough carotenoid pigments? In any case, a good learning experience for me regarding the usefulness of uppertail covert length in the ID.

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

www.alvarosadventures.com