Date: 2/1/21 6:01 pm
From: Nick Lethaby <nlethaby...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] UCSB area K
All,

I saw this bird yesterday there. It appears to the NCOS bird as someone
commented that the bird was losing its buff forehead streak. I think what
is happening here is that the bird is molting 6 months early into eclipse
plumage. There also seem to be dark reddish-brown feathers coming into the
breast/foreflanks. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds over the
next few weeks. I seem to recall that the female here a few winters ago
eventually seemed to reject the male after earlier being paired with him.
My guess is that the combination of this rejection and lack of other female
Eurasian Wigeon is causing this bird to lose hope of finding a mate, hence
why not drop the colorful and easy to predate basic plumage and hang out as
an eclipse bird. Or maybe now that Biden is president, this bird feels safe
coming out as trans ...

Nick

--
Nick Lethaby