Date: 1/29/21 2:24 am
From: Wes Fritz via groups.io <wes-fritz...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Lompoc
SB Birders,

I birded a few locations in Lompoc today 1-28-21 during middle of the day mainly focusing on gulls. As you all know we received a lot of rain up in north/west county.
I first checked out the supermarket parking lots along “H” Street and saw very few gulls and none of interest. I then headed over to Lompoc High School and found about 150 gulls out on the varsity baseball field. The best area to check this ball field is on North “O” and Airport Road. At this location I saw 6 Glaucous-winged and one being a adult. Also there was a “Iceland” type gull and a couple dozen Mew Gulls with the rest made up of our expected gulls. Some of the gulls were oiled, but not too bad. So, I went over to Lompoc Middle School and saw about 50 gulls, nothing worth reporting. I then made my way out to Ocean Park, which the gate is locked. The water is just starting to cover the road and I could not see very many birds from the bluff due to the heavy rain or lack of birds.
The agg fields were fairly flooded and I wish I had figured this out sooner because it was pushing most of the sparrows to higher ground, like the side of the road. I did not turn up any reportable sparrows, but this came late in the day and it was raining fairly hard.
I then revisited the schools and all the gulls were gone. Made my way over to River Park and that was pretty sucky and I was getting pretty wet by now. The Santa Ynez River was flowing from side to side, but not all gnarly. This much water may fill up the estuary at Ocean Park and possibly blow it out.

If any birders are birding down in Lompoc please report your birds or your birding conditions.

Thank you and good birding.

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
<wes-fritz...>