Date: 1/14/21 9:52 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Lawrence MA Winter Crow Roost Jan 11 &13
Thanks to Dana Duxbury-Fox for this report.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

From: Dana Fox <dana.fox1939...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 08:23:10 -0500
Subject: Lawrence MA Winter Crow Roost Jan 11 &13

Report of crow numbers
We were out on Monday evening with four other ladies. We started in the New
Balance parking lot. The crows started to come in singly and head over the
202 building (the brick building on the east side of So. Union St.) We
decided to go to the top of the parking garage and found they were staging
in the treetops far to the east south east many in North Andover. Later
vast flocks came in from the east, south east and then those from the west
- NW and SW flocks too joined them with not many in the O'Connell Common
trees.
After sunset they began to swirl in large flocks flying towards the
clock tower and then around and a round. We went down to the street and
looked up. Many, many different swirling flocks each flock of maybe a
thousand birds. - over Merrimack St., over South Union St. It is now
quite dark and some start to settle down on the flat roof of the R&D
building. Bob and the ladies went back up to the top of the garage. I
walked back to the car and saw some trickling into the roost while they had
15,000+ still on the roof. NO WAY YOU COULD COUNT THEM SYSTEMATICALLY.

Last night with Bob Quinn from NH we went there. Again, the early single
birds trickled over to North Andover. We even tried to find them in NA.
Back to the garage. Small numbers heading east south east, then the migrant
flocks from the east and south east. The western birds were visible far to
the west, some in trees, many landing on what we think was the ice not
coming towards us though. After sunset, the birds from the west came
towards un in vast flocks heading towards the commons. The SE birds moved
towards the commons. Pure mayhem followed as thousands of birds in so many
different flocks circled around some going all the way to the north side of
the river beyond Rt. 28. Later under darkness you could see a few settling
down in the roost going way up towards the Casey Bridge but most still in
the air. Then thousands dropped onto the far R&D roof and stayed there..
When we left at 5:10 pm.
Again, no way to systematically count them as we had on December 19th. Bob
Quinn and Bob Fox BOTH *estimated* there were OVER 20,000 BIRDS. A few Fish
Crows were heard flying over in one flock, none id while they were sitting.
Do pland to visit the roost by the end of February before the birds begin
to head north or stay on their nesting territory.
Let me know if you would like to get directions or have a guided tour.
Dana Duxbury-Fox and Bob Fox
North Andover, MA
<dana.fox1939...>

Join us on Facebook!