Date: 1/13/21 6:35 pm
From: Eric Reuter <eric...>
Subject: Boone Co. blackbird roost update

Eric & I were last up there about a couple weeks ago (prior to year end & ice storm) and it was still plenty active. We also saw ~180 Trumpeter Swans in a cornfield a few miles north of the roost site. We have ebird lists and hand-written notes that we haven't gotten around to submitting/typing up yet as we've been swamped with other things. Can't vouch for the status of the miscanthus at the moment, but another field along VV just north of Columbia that was flattened by the ice is now fully recovered.

We saw significant flocks of blackbirds (sounded like primarily grackles) going overhead at our place this late afternoon, flying northeast parallel to Silver Fork and headed roughly in the direction of the roost.

We think a trip up to the site would be well worth it. Would love to get some additional opinions on estimates of numbers.

Joanna & Eric Reuter
Boone County, MO