Date: 1/13/21 4:46 pm
Subject: Re: NC Seabirds
I wanted to suggest the book _The Devil's Cormorant_
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17818529-the-devil-s-cormorant__;!!OToaGQ!6VuvKik552atk6QMmAFpmBv7-fHSTtsLX-dVdULlzIKjMJNK28jMo4gm6t0NZYsnN5s$ > by
Richard King, which I think is a great light read that talks about
cormorants and their natural history, role in culture, human usage,
management, and other topics if anyone wants an overview of these
wonderful and controversial birds and how we've lived alongside them. To
quote about the complexity of the issues surrounding cormorants and
management, regarding the colony at East Sand Island at the mouth of the
Columbia River in Oregon:

"...rising populations of seabirds living on a tiny island at the mouth
of the Columbia River have pushed a hierarchy of government agencies
into the position of trying to assuage the interests of fishermen,
hydropower companies, salmon hatcheries, tribal representatives, and
environmentalists—while at the same time representing the Endangered
Species Act, the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and attempting to balance
the economics of commerce and jobs."

steve

Chapel Hill, NC

Join us on Facebook!