Date: 1/13/21 4:44 pm
From: Michael Mammoser <mmammoser...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] RNGR in Alviso
Late this morning, 13 Jan 2021, I went to the Alviso Marina boat launch, planning on arriving before the high tide peak. I wanted to see if the grebe reported yesterday was still present, but I wasn't holding out much hope. When I got there, the slough was full of water, and the incoming tide was flowing in rapidly. All that I could see on the water were dozens of COMMON GOLDENEYES. I decided to check out the Marina Marsh and spent the next twenty minutes or so over there.
When I returned to the boat launch, I saw Susan Weinstein walking out on the dock. I looked in the water and immediately saw the RED-NECKED GREBE about fifty feet away. Susan was readying her camera for photographs, so I called Mike Rogers and asked him to get a report out on SBB. Then I grabbed my camera and joined Susan. We watched and photographed the bird for twenty minutes or so, before any other birders arrived.
It was interesting watching this bird as it swam against the flow of the tide. Though it was generating a distinct wake, it looked to be just hovering in place. Even so, by the time I left it had managed to get a couple hundred yards down the slough from the launch.
Earlier in the morning, I had taken a walk along the John Nicholas Trail in Sanborn County Park. The place was fairly empty of birds, but when I got about 100 yards from the reservoir, I was pulled up short by the sounds of, what seemed to be, a lumberjack chopping down a tree. When some calls and drumming were added in, it became obvious that there were two PILEATED WOODPECKERS up in the trees along the trail. I never saw the birds, but you could tell from the sounds - these weren't your Grandma's woodpeckers.
Michael Mammoser

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 11:26:52 AM PST, Mike Rogers via groups.io <michael.m.rogers...> wrote:

<!--#yiv0236383896 _filtered {} _filtered {}#yiv0236383896 #yiv0236383896 p.yiv0236383896MsoNormal, #yiv0236383896 li.yiv0236383896MsoNormal, #yiv0236383896 div.yiv0236383896MsoNormal {margin:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}#yiv0236383896 span.yiv0236383896EmailStyle17 {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv0236383896 .yiv0236383896MsoChpDefault {font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;} _filtered {}#yiv0236383896 div.yiv0236383896WordSection1 {}-->
All,

Mike Mammoser reports that the RED-NECKED GREBE is at the Alviso Marina boat launch right now.

Mike R for Mike M

Dr. Michael M. Rogers

Manager, Transformational Tools and Technologies (T^3) Project

Transformative Aeronautics Concepts Program

NASA Ames Research Center

Mail Stop 258-2

Moffett Field, CA 94035

Phone: (650)-604-4732