Date: 1/13/21 1:49 pm
Subject: Re: NC Seabirds
Thanks for this post.

I relocated to NC from Oregon 2 years ago, and have my own cormorant demonization experiences from there. I will say that I have seen trees (Sitka Spruces and others) killed in as little as 2 years by guano accumulation from roosting cormorants. Of course, among the various things that kill trees, cormorants are a very minor one. In fact, in Pennsylvania browsing by deer has a far greater effect on forest health than cormorant guano.

And - when cormorants displace other colonial birds from tree colonies, the others usually do not have much trouble finding new colony locations. Maybe in areas with few trees this is significant, but not in North Carolina or Pennsylvania.

In Oregon and adjacent states a bunch of human endeavors have greatly disrupted the habitat and life cycle of Pacific Salmon, including water diversions for irrigation and domestic use, dams for hydro power, stream channelization and habitat simplification to benefit boating and shipping etc. etc. The agencies and others who benefit from these water uses have been blaming birds and other predators for salmon declines for decades, in order to deflect attention from their own actions.

And in the local context, the "Seabirds" research paper made a point of reporting their consumption estimates in Menhaden tonnage. Cormorants eat lots of kinds of fish (including Menhaden), but I doubt it was accidental that they expressed their results in terms of a species that is overfished and subject to hard management decisions.

Wayne