Date: 1/13/21 1:45 pm
From: Chuq Von Rospach via groups.io <chuqui...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Coyote Valley 1/13
I took my wednesday walkies down at Coyote Valley OSP and explored the coyote valley area this morning from about 10AM to a bit before noon.

Laguna road wasn't too busy but has two kestrels.

At the end of richmond (east side near the tracks) i saw a gorgeous red-shouldered hawk.

in the fields along Santa Teresa were a fairly large flock of mixed crows and ravens bugging (and arguing)

From the lot at the OSP a few nice birds: 2 golden eagles soaring, 1-2 rock wrens, 5-6 western bluebirds, various magpie, another kestrel, which hunted twice (and failed twice) for me, and a patrolling Northern Harrier. also heard very clearly twice from somewhere over the hill next to the lot to the W was a single Stellar's Jay, which  -- seems unusual and is a first for the species there for me.

Notable in the non bird category: two groups of Mule Deer, one under the trees at the W end of Laguna, and one in the trees across the meadow to the SW of the OSP lot. And...

and as I was driving in along Santa teresa in the pasture across and a bit S of Spina Farms, I saw what I initially thought was a coyote, except it was way too big to be a coyote, and not shaped like a coyote, and.... and I realized I was watching a mountain lion crossing the pasture in mid morning in the open. Whee!

I did report it to the ranger, who complained he never gets good views of things like that, but we talked for a bit about it. He noted that the neighbors had reported a couple of attacks on the horses at night that were thought to be a mountain lion. I'm going to suggest if you hike at Coyote Valley OSP, especially early or late, you be a bit vigilant, since there seems to be a big cat in the area right now.

---------------------------------------

Chuq Von Rospach http://www.chuq.me
Email: <chuqui...>
Twitter: @chuq