Date: 1/13/21 9:36 am
From: Chris Barrigar <1chrisbarrigar...>
Subject: Bald Eagles, Spring Fork Lake, Pettis Co. Sedalia Area, 12/28/2020

Just wanted to let anyone in and around (traveling to) the Sedalia/Cole Camp area who may be needing to satisfy their "Eagle Fix", there are a few at Spring Fork Lake.

During the Cole Camp CBC, my first pass count (with numbing hands and tears from the cold filling my eyes) was 96 birds with the second pass count (differentiating between adult and imm.) resulted in 93 birds. - 52 adults, 41 imm.

With only one point of access northeast/north end of the lake, many of the birds will be out quite a ways and scope will be necessary for those; however, there were several perched very close and others constantly flying over the water nearer to the dam.

American White Pelicans as well as other expected waterfowl were also present.

https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/places/spring-fork-lake-sedalia-water-department
[https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/styles/detail/public/images/conservation/Sedalia-Water-Dept-Spring-Fork-Lake.JPG?itok=3jSKJek6]<https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/places/spring-fork-lake-sedalia-water-department>
Spring Fork Lake (Sedalia Water Department) | MDC Discover Nature<https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/places/spring-fork-lake-sedalia-water-department>
From Sedalia, take Highway 65 south, then Route V east for about 1.25 miles, then Spring Fork Lake Road south, staying east (left) at the T intersection.
nature.mdc.mo.gov

Good birding!

Chris Barrigar

Cole Co.
Russellville, MO
<1chrisbarrigar...><mailto:<1chrisbarrigar...>

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cbarrigar

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." JOHN MUIR