Date: 1/13/21 8:59 am
From: Joe Morlan <jmorlan...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Eurasian Teal, hybrid wigeon, Lesser Yellowlegs, etc.
The Eurasian Teal was still present and cooperative at Bayfront park
yesterday (12 January) during the high tide.

Photos:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?taxonCode=egwtea1&view=Grid&subId=S79148162

The AOS and eBird currently consider this to be a race of Green-winged
Teal, but the two are genetically quite distinct and other authorities
consider them to be separate species.

Also there was an apparent hybrid Eurasian x American Wigeon hybrid at
Bayfront Park. It looks mostly like a Eurasian and may be a backcross with
Eurasian.

Photos: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/67989163

Opinions always welcome.

The continuing LESSER YELLOWLEGS was still at Bair Island and I managed a
few distant photos showing it with Greater Yellowlegs:

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/67989577

Somewhat better photos of the bird alone are on my Bair Island eBird
checklist:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S79148746?view=photos

Also included on are images of male, female and immature BARROW'S
GOLDENEYES.

Stay well!

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA