Date: 1/13/21 8:09 am
From: Devorah the Ornithologist <birdologist...>
Subject: [Tweeters] leucistic parrot (this includes a working link to the photo!)
hello again, everyone,

please accept my apologies for my previous, unsuccessful, attempts to share
a photo of a supposedly "leucistic" lory.

a story about this "mutant" lorikeet has just hit the news now and is
featured in The Daily Mail Australia:

https://twitter.com/Pennycopter/status/1349311937629208576/photo/1

i think that you now can see the photos of a "normal" versus a "mutant"
rainbow lorikeet.

as i mentioned in my previous messages, i'm interested to know what birders
might describe this bird as being ... leucistic? (despite this term being
applied to the lack of melanin-based pigments in plumage, which is NOT the
source of this bird's peculiar colouring) or "pied"/"piebald" which is, at
best, an imprecise term.

thanks.

--
GrrlScientist
Contact: *<grrlscientist...> <grrlscientist...>* | Twitter