Date: 1/13/21 7:40 am
From: Brenda Hente <bjhente29...>
Subject: Re: TGP Owls

Hi Janis,

Congratulations on all of your owl sightings and luck in seeing owls this
year. There have been at least one pair of mated great horned owls in
Tower Grove Park for many years now. What you most likely described as
witnessing was actually the male jumping on the female's back and the pair
mating. This is mating and breeding season and many GHOW pairs are already
nesting. A couple of ways to tell the difference between the male and
female is, the female is generally larger than the male, and the male has
4-6, long, low notes in his call and the female has 7-11, shorter,
higher-pitched notes in her call. Please keep your distance as you observe
these owls. They are very powerful and can be more aggressive as they are
defending their territory and breeding. Once again, congratulations on
your observations.

Brenda Hente
St. Louis, MO