Date: 1/13/21 7:16 am
From: Janis Valdes <janis.lee.valdes...>
Subject: TGP Owls

As a first-year birder, I have not always been successful spotting owls.
Even hearing them can be a challenge (even with my hearing aids), but 2021
seems to be a turning point. After the thrill of a New Year's Day snowy owl
sighting, thanks to Diane Bricmont, and short-eared owls at Columbia Bottom
CA (again, thanks to Diane - see why my luck is changing?), I've been
consistently seeing a great horned female in Tower Grove Park for the past
week and a half.

Yesterday at dusk, I finally saw the male, too. After much calling (and I
could NOT see where he was, though could tell he was getting closer and
closer), he flew to a branch over my head (I could hear him!), and began
bowing and continuing calling to the female. She preened her toes, she
stretched her gorgeous wing back, she barked (though I wasn't sure it was
she until I followed up with Sibley later). And then she flew to him,
jumped on his back a couple of times, then flew off.

He stayed put, I couldn't see where she went, the light faded, I didn't
hear any more calling for some minutes, so I reluctantly left my first
experience with GHOW flirtation.

You know where I'll be every evening at dusk for the next few weeks...

Janis