Date: 1/13/21 7:07 am
From: Juliet Berger <juliet.berger...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Carolina Wren
Carolina Wrens have been present in the Ann Arbor area since the 1950's,
and have been expanding north through the state and into Ontario. I've
heard them in the ravines in Toronto. They've been successful in our area,
and survive winter in part due to suet feeders, mealworms and shelled
sunflower seeds that people provide at feeders. The population is quite
large-- eg. I had 5 Carolina Wrens vocalizing in the Arb on Monday, and I
only covered about 1/3 of the area. In harsh winters, the population
greatly shrinks. It looks like they're here to stay, and since they sing
and defend territory all year long, they are a winter delight! The pair in
my yard hop inside to feed in a house style mealworm feeder we set up for
our Bluebirds.
Juliet Berger
Washtenaw Audubon

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org