Date: 1/12/21 8:41 pm
From: bobhirt2004 via groups.io <Bobhirt...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Type of Goldeneye??
Not sure if it’s the same bird but the facial Mark is similar. My photo shows a slight irregular black shoulder spur.
Taken 1/1 at MV Shoreline Lake.

Bob

Bob Hirt
(408) 821-2732

Please excuse the brevity, the typos, and the sometimes humorous autocorrect changes.

> On Jan 12, 2021, at 7:53 PM, Bill Bousman <barlowi...> wrote:
>
> Dear Bob,
>
> Typical hybrid markings are usually considered variation in (1) facial spot, oval vs teardrop, (2) scapular pattern, mostly white with black streaks vs black with white windows, and (3) the shoulder spur, none vs a dark spur connected to the black on the scapulars. Your photo shows an oval facial spot and mostly white scapulars (with minor black streaks). The male is too deep in the water to show a spur. So, apparently a typical Common Goldeneye.
>
> Bill Bousman
> Menlo Park
>
>> On 1/12/2021 5:59 PM, Bob Strobe wrote:
>> To all Goldeneye experts-
>> Is this by chance a hybrid Common/Barrows?? Ive seen both in my homestate of Alaska but not sure if they look a bit different here.

View/Reply Online (#23457): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23457
-=-=-

-=-=-
Group Owner: southbaybirds+<owner...>