Date: 1/12/21 5:48 pm
Subject: Rocky Mount CBC results
The 24th Rocky Mount CBC was held on December 18, 2020 under cloudy skies,
calm winds and cooler temperatures ranging 35-43. 11 counters in the field
in six parties and 1 feeder counter matched our highest total with *104
species (*average 90). We tallied 6,173 total birds (average 7770). Most
numerous birds were 512 American Robin, 498 European Starling, 471 Common
Grackle and 439 Ring-necked Duck.

Highlights include a whopping three first count record birds, a single
Anhinga seen in a private waterfowl impoundment off Gay Road; White-eyed
Vireo in a mixed flock next to Red Hill Church; male Yellow-headed
Blackbird with flock of blackbirds on a private farm off Gay Road, sorry
chasers will hate on me for not posting immediately, but I was lucky to get
invited on an impromptu golf cart ride through this land which also has
nesting Barn Owl, no first count bird but very fresh pellets were found.

Other goodies include two parties that each had single Orange-crowned
Warbler for a second count record; several hours apart and several miles
apart on Swift Creek two parties each had a single second count record
Evening Grosbeak, not reported in 19 years; our third Black-and-white
warbler was along White Oak Swamp; our third Clay-colored Sparrow was on
private land; Northern Pintail (4th), Sandhill Crane (4th) and Merlin (5th)
would highlight any other year.

Misses include American Black Duck, Bufflehead, Sharp-shinned Hawk (1st
miss), and Herring Gull.

Thanks to all my intrepid counters for a great count!

Mark your calendars for next year’s count: Friday, December 17, 2021.

--
Brian Bockhahn
<birdranger248...>

Join us on Facebook!