Date: 1/12/21 5:21 pm
From: John Calogero via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Feeder finches
We have a neighborhood Cooper’s hawk. The homeowner he chooses gets to save money on seed as long as he hangs around. He had an injured wing a few days ago and was a pedestrian for a day, but he recovered and is on the prowl again. My wife thinks he hit a wing on a feeder while attacking a songbird.
John Calogero
West Hartford

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 7, 2021, at 2:06 PM, Paul Plotnick via CTBirds <ctbirds...> wrote:
>
> Wouldn't you know. Because of Covid, we decided not to go to Florida and as
> a reward, today our feeder suddenly got mobbed. Chickadees, Nuthatches,
> Juncos,Titmice, Mourning Doves, a pair of Cardinals, Downy Woodpecker, and
> one White-Throated Sparrow. Perhaps a neighbor took down a competing feeder.
>
>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 12:43 PM CAROL GOERTZ <cgoertz...> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, I also have a very thick area of bitttersweet along side the house
>> which is great cover. Yesterday I had over 12 House Finch, maybe it is the
>> cover that attraks them.
>>
>> On January 7, 2021 at 12:01 PM Paul Plotnick <pdplot2...> wrote:
>>
>> Stamford. Newfield area.
>>
>>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 11:57 AM CAROL GOERTZ <cgoertz...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Paul, where are you? I am in Cheshire, the finches are eating me our of
>>> house and home. I fill my feeders every other day.
>>>
>>> On January 7, 2021 at 11:52 AM Paul Plotnick via CTBirds <
>>> <ctbirds...> wrote:
>>>

>>> No finches of any kind at my feeder for several weeks now. Had one female
>>> Purple Finch along with a few House Finches and one Siskin but no
>>> Goldfinches. No Blue Jays. No more White Throated Sparrows or Song
>>> Sparrows. I re-filled with sunflower chips two weeks ago.