Date: 1/12/21 11:57 am
From: eli way <eli_way...>
Subject: Re: NC Seabirds
Not particularly commenting on the merits of the cull, only that I recalled it happened nearby as well.Elizabeth Anderegg
On Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 02:42:57 PM EST, Nate Dias <carolinabirds...> wrote:

They did, but the SC legislature is who did it by legislative fiat- not SC DNR.   DNR had to implement it.
It was a knee-jerk reaction to fishermen voicing vague fears that wintering (not breeding) cormorants were supposedly eating too many fish.

And unlike the more responsible cull in the PA example, it was not a few select + authorized sharpshooters at one rookery.  It was "Bubba Public" getting granted open season on cormorants across a wide area during a certain time period.  One of many problems with the plan is that Bubba is not great at telling cormorants from Anhingas for example.    And it is a slippery slope letting Bubba blast fish-eating birds.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 2:21 PM eli way <eli_way...> wrote:

Maybe I'm a bit late to this discussion, but didn't they cull DCCOs in Lakes Marion and Moultrie for a couple of years?  I thought there were a couple cull hunt seasons about 2012-14. Thanks,Elizabeth Anderegg
On Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 01:28:27 PM EST, Nate Dias <carolinabirds...> wrote:

The chokepoint with booming numbers of DC Cormorants returning to historical levels is that available nesting (and winter roosting) habitat is NOT doing the same thing.
So DC Cormorants are displacing egrets and herons in rookeries and killing large numbers of trees in rookeries and winter roosts with their droppings.

The day may come when we have to choose between 1. DC Cormorant culls or 2. losing wading bird rookeries and seeing declining wading bird populations in certain regions.

They have already faced it in Pennsylvania:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lancasteronline.com/sports/marksmen-shooting-cormorants-on-susquehanna-to-save-egrets-herons/article_bfb6ab23-6343-5779-b91d-3912705c1d8b.html__;!!OToaGQ!64QGr5qHeTsMS4VgoGM1YJxOimWhhdY1lHOBiVpwmDi6T5VNZq9M0GvFSRCgXGU86lw$

--
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.flickr.com/photos/offshorebirder2/__;!!OToaGQ!64QGr5qHeTsMS4VgoGM1YJxOimWhhdY1lHOBiVpwmDi6T5VNZq9M0GvFSRCg3Ub0vvU$

"These days I prefer to hunt with a camera.  A good photograph demands more skill from the hunter, better nerves and more patience than the rifle shot."    -- Bror Blixen
On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 11:38 AM Brian Patteson <carolinabirds...> wrote:

It’s an interesting situation with Double-crested Cormorants. I think those in favor of controlling the population have a warped perspective in terms of historical context, as cormorant numbers were greatly diminished for many years by the lasting effects of DDT. What we are seeing now, is probably more normal in terms of numbers. Interestingly, another species which has made a big comeback, albeit many years later is the Bald Eagle. The comeback of Bald Eagles has been not been good for Great Cormorants, but that species was not nearly as abundant as Double-crested Cormorants. There is no doubt that cormorants have a significant affect on fish stocks, but so does shrimping, where there is a huge amount of by-catch that is beneficial to coastal seabirds that have learned to follow the boats.
Brian PattesonHatteras

On Jan 12, 2021, at 10:11 AM, <badgerboy...> wrote:

Thanks Dave for calling attention to this seabird fish consumption study, apparently instigated by the fishing industry. Please remember, the net effect of any wildlife on the ecosystem is much more than just their consumption. This is NOT a dig at the study or those who carried it out.

Cormorants aint pretty, and they aint terribly popular among birders or wildlife management agencies, not to mention with the general public and fisheries people.

However, their role in the recycling of marine nutrients to coastal ecosystems is major, they are one of the birds that roost above coastal wetlands and return massive amounts of organic material to fishery nursing areas, making them a real keystone species for productive coastal ecosystems and productive fisheries in the long term. This benefits all our birds and other wildlife. Birds such as Gannets and Gulls provide much less of this as they tend to roost at sea. In contrast, practically zero of the marine nutrients taken by industry trawlers are returned to fish nursery areas.

Through fish predation, Cormorants' active selection of fitness in fish populations off, and near the coast is also a major feedback to ecosystem productivity. This is different from people's fishing activity which doesn't discriminate what kind of fish get in the net.

There's a real temptation to scapegoat common birds like cormorants for the declining wildlife stocks, which are caused by people and their fossil-fueled harvesting, that gives nothing back to the system. I ask birders to resist that.

Guy McGrane, Boone, NC

On 1/12/2021 7:49 AM, David Gibson (via carolinabirds Mailing List) wrote:

I thought some of you might be interested in this short Center for Conservation Biology piece about seabirds (cormorants, pelicans, etc.) along the NC coast. The aerial photos are fascinating.
Dave Gibson https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://birdpartner.com/__;!!OToaGQ!64QGr5qHeTsMS4VgoGM1YJxOimWhhdY1lHOBiVpwmDi6T5VNZq9M0GvFSRCgEe56THs$

\

Join us on Facebook!