Date: 1/12/21 8:56 am
From: Carolyn Marsh <camarshbird...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Illiana Birds: Tundra, Trumpeter and Mute Swans
The Trumpeter Swan 6R with a black and yellow GPS transmitter remains in
the Hammond George Lake and bi-state Wolf Lake area. It was photographed by
Bill Reichert in Chicago, Wm. Powers/Wolf Lake on January 10, 2021. I
reported the Trumpeter to DNR trackers on 03, Nov. 2020 at George Lake. The
Trumpeter was collared on July 13,2020 in Minnesota and was the first one
to fly south out of Minnesota of nearly 100 fitted with a GPS collar.
Currently the farthest GPS Trumpeter is in Arkansas east of Greers Creek
Lake. Also Mute Swans have been collared in the same multi-state study
project. Indiana and Illinois are not in the study to determine the number
of Mutes competing with native swans.

There are approximately 90 swans, including all 3 species, flying back and
forth at the state line. I have been monitoring the swans for over two
years because of the unusual deaths of Mute Swans and 1 Trumpeter Swan.
Please post or send me your counts of all swans, dead and alive, for a
realistic as possible account of the swan situation. Residents concerned
with the health of our wetlands and lakes will greatly appreciate the
cooperation. Many thanks to Dave Gruver for sharing information.

Carolyn A. Marsh, Whiting, Lake County, IN

Join us on Facebook!