Date: 1/12/21 5:11 am
From: Allen Chartier <amazilia3...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Hawk poop
April,

I don't know about the anatomy and musculature, but many birds have the
ability of projectile pooping. It has been described as an adaptation for
getting their feces well away from the nest, not only for nest sanitation
but also to protect from predators tracking the nest location.

Baby birds cannot do this when they hatch, so parent birds take their fecal
sacs (another unusual adaptation) well away from the nest. As they get
older, baby birds develop the ability to shoot poop over the edge of the
nest so I imagine it is muscle development.

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/CAFoKnJUZ%3D-8VybCj1fxCaCp4ZDyXEHh53RU0w%<2B3pK13kLLkdKQ...>

Join us on Facebook!