Date: 1/12/21 2:47 am
Subject: Re: 2021 big year?
Brian

I remember when Teta Kain would call a few regional birders from her phone and then they would call other nearby birders in hopes of getting the word out on Rare Birds.

Then it was updated to calling a number and leaving a message on the recording machine and the tape was updated later.

One wanting to chase after rare birds had to call the number to hear what was around to go chase.

Boy has things changed since then.

From my iPhone

Go Birding be Safe

May God Bless and Keep You

Jeff Blalock
103 Elizabeth Court
South Boston VA 24592
434-470-4352 Cell
<jcbabirder...>

> On Jan 11, 2021, at 9:01 PM, Brian Patteson <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> I remember when a 330-340 Big Year total was top tier- back in the 80s-90s. The good thing about doing a Big Year back then was you didn’t have this huge number of stakeouts that you had to see. There were a few, but nothing like what we know of these days with eBird intel. A recorded message on the state RBA got updated once a week. If you were connected, you’d hear about stuff sooner, but not within minutes, which is how it works now. Not infrequently, you’d read about it weeks or months later in American Birds- that’s what it was called back then, not North American Birds- or the Chat. A lot of birds didn’t get photographed at all, so that added to the intrigue. Nowadays, a Big Year seems to be more of a job connecting all these known dots. And not to get a pic now is really more the exception. I miss the way we used to do it. I spent a lot more time on the phone 20 or 30 years ago, but those were good times. Now it’s mostly all been figured out.
>
> Brian Patteson
> Hatteras
>
>> On Jan 11, 2021, at 1:45 PM, Harry LeGrand (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>>
>> There are several ways to do a Big Year (State or ABA Area), State Life Lists, ABA Area Life Lists, etc. One way is to do what Steven, Dave, Ed, and Jamie and others have done, by posting rarities on eBird, so that other birders can see what good birds they are seeing, where they have seen them, etc. That way we know where Jamie has been in 2021, Steven and others were in 2020, etc.
>>
>> The other way is to do it undercover, and just go about your bird chasing without reporting things, so that nobody knows what rare birds you are seeing or where you are going for your rare birds, and nobody is out there -- such as eBird reviewers -- to question any rarities that you might see; this might represent "suspicious activity to me".
>>
>> Harry LeGrand
>> Raleigh
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 1:22 PM Jamie Adams <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>>> Haha, I always go big the first month! The first pelagic is always the trend setter for the rest of the year. It helps motivate me when some of the birds are NC lifers like the Black-chinned and Evening Grosbeaks. Real life responsibility has a way to throw a wrench in the works so we will see..
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I am not retired so the first couple of weeks coincided with annual leaves and things will get back to normal quickly.
>>>
>>> For anyone interested, I am keeping my blog up to date. https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://photographicbirdlistomania.blogspot.com__;!!OToaGQ!4infBt0NrN3e_N2o2BcpiweH8_R0djgmUl2eiSGs01S5BS3jB6d8Btp8mNeAQr6g914$
>>>

>>> Jamie
>>> Wilmington, NC

Join us on Facebook!