Date: 1/11/21 7:43 pm
From: Matt Schamberger <mattschamberger...>
Subject: Columbia Bottom CA (St. Louis County)- spotted towhee, lesser black backed gull

We checked out the area near parking lot X and tractor shed for the
HARRIS'S SPARROW. We struck out; in AM and PM. There is a large murmuration
of red wing blackbirds and cowbirds there however.

We hiked out to the Confluence Point, from parking lot L, in search of the
SPOTTED TOWHEE. We located it at the Confluence Point itself, first in the
vines/brush nearby then it perched obligingly on a pile of driftwood for a
few moments.

Minutes later we located one adult LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL loafing
(standing) on a sandbar in the Mississippi River with numerous ring-billed
gulls, just south of the confluence overlook. We had great views through a
spotting scope and, I believe, photos were taken. eBird indicates this
species was also seen at Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary today.

Matt Schamberger
Clayton, MO